Information about weight loss medication

Update on availability of Wegovy® (semaglutide) to support weight loss

Weight-loss drug Wegovy® has started to become available in the UK as part of a controlled and limited launch of the medication. 

Wegovy® is the brand name for semaglutide, a drug which has been licensed and approved by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) for the management of obesity. Novo Nordisk, the company that manufactures Wegovy®, has confirmed that semaglutide is in short supply and expects it to be for the foreseeable future. 

A proportion of the available supply has now been allocated to NHS services. NHS England is implementing the NICE guidance for weight management and will continue ongoing work to restore supplies of the drug for people with type 2 diabetes. 

Work will be carried out with specialists across Kent and Medway to allow appropriate referrals to take place. As arrangements and supply are still being confirmed, we are not currently able to process any referrals to specialist services for consideration of Wegovy®. We will update you once plans are confirmed to detail how referrals should be made in-line with the national prioritisation guidance.

Accessing Wegovy® for weight loss 

Wegovy® can only be supplied through specialist services in-line with NICE appraisal. Your GP practice will not be able to prescribe this medication to you and specialist services should not be contacted to obtain this medication until arrangements have been put in place. 

Further information about accessing Wegovy® for weight loss can be found on the Department of Health and Social Care website and the NICE website. 

Find information about weight loss services in Kent and Medway. Visit Better Health for lifestyle support.

Fake weight loss pen warning

There have been reports of unsafe fake weight loss pens being sold online. 

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency is warning the public not to buy pre-filled pens claiming to contain Ozempic (semaglutide) or Saxenda (liraglutide) but to consult a healthcare professional qualified to prescribe medicines and obtain a prescription.

Find further information at GOV.UK

Text Size: